Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

Día De Los Muertos

Michelle Lopez
The snap of the main rotunda was taken on Nov. 2, or Día de los Muertos. Projects of arts students were displayed all around the place. The display Included calaveras, alebrijes, and candles that are lit to welcome the spirits back to their altars.

Día de lo Muertos is a holiday celebrated on Nov. 1 and 2. It is a holiday where people of Mexican heritage get to make memorial altars in one’s house and cook traditional Day of the Dead food.

Art classes create to make something traditional on Día de lo Muertos. The classes have created altars, put pictures and candles in the main rotunda in the past. But this time, the decorating was slightly different.

“This year we will be creating Alebrijes,” fine arts teacher Melisa Bustillo said. “For Día de los Muertos, we would be placing the Alebrijes of the students in the main rotunda.”

“We got to choose our own animals and get to design the way our Alebrijes look,” freshman Brianna Lugo said. “I believe that this is a good way to celebrate Day of the Dead at school.”

The students created Alebrijes, which they said are creative, animal-like artworks are original representations of the artist’s conscious and thinking states.

“I like how we got to choose a veteran from the main rotunda and create them Alebrijes,” senior Angelica Ortiz Cron said. “Alebrijes are creatures that exist in our minds and brains and are linked to our spirits but are neither things nor animals.”