Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

Writing by hand vs Typing

Why writing by hand is better than typing.
Writing by hand vs Typing

According to a recent study, writing strengthens learning and memory, making it superior to typing.

According to the study, handwriting produces more complex brain connection patterns that are essential for forming memories and encoding new information.

According to the study, the meticulous letter formation that occurs during handwriting—which involves exact hand movements and sensory engagement—contributes significantly to the brain’s patterns of connectivity that support learning. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2024/05/11/1250529661/handwriting-cursive-typing-schools-learning-brain

The researchers stress the advantages of using pens and pencils over digital gadgets and stress the significance of introducing handwriting into education.

“I like typing on my computer more than writing because I have terrible handwriting.” Destiny Garcia says.

Typing has additional advantages, including increased productivity, accuracy, time savings, and—above all—correct posture.

“I like typing more because it helped me straighten my back more, my posture used to be so bad” stated Kayla Bremner.

Adding onto the writing is that students have struggled with writing in cursive. Senior Mia Gonzalez says she has never written in cursive since she learned it ” I learned cursive in elementary school but I can’t remember a time I have used it since.”

“I’m so used to typing on my computer and my phone sometimes I forget how to write and how to make sure my handwriting is nice when someone gives me a paper to write on,” Mia adds.

Throughout the majority of the interviews, many of the kids were curious as to why the teachers chose to have their students work digitally rather than on paper.

“As a teacher, printer paper is expensive, and many of my students do not even turn in the work I assign on paper. I believe that working digitally is healthier for our planet and easier for me to enter all of their work into the grade book.” Mrs. DeLaRosa.