Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

‘I am honored to be part of this team’: Marco Chavez elevated to head football coach

Following the departure of football head coach Ryan Warner, defensive coordinator Marco Chavez has been elevated to the position, assistant principal Jose Carlos announced on X Friday. Chavez will become the fourth football head coach in school history. 

“I am fully committed to continuing Chapin High School’s tradition of excellence,” Chavez said. “I am confident we can achieve great things together.” 

Chavez, who has been the team’s defensive coordinator since 2019, is also a Chapin alum. He inherits a team that went 7-4 and finished second in district 1-5A this past season. They return a plethora of productive players, including their leader in all-purpose yards Daveon Singleton. Singleton is excited about the traits Chavez brings to the table. 

“We are looking forward to having coach Chavez as our head coach,” Singleton said. “He teaches us to be respectful, stay accountable, and he is very disciplined. We need all four of these things to elevate us as a team.” 

Now, both Chavez and his team has to shift their focus on the upcoming season, which will see them move into the new look district 1-5A. Del Valle, Hanks, and Horizon joined due to UIL realignment. The district now has eight teams battling for a title. 

“With the talented roster and experience returning, they’ll be in the mix to contend for a district title,” sports insider Adrian Broaddus said. “I think the hire is solid, they need someone who knows the program and can continue the momentum from last fall.” 

Some students are buzzing about the hire and can’t wait until the team is back on the football field in the fall.  

“I’m ready for the first home game,” junior Josiah Reaves said. “I think we’ll be good this year, and the new hire has me excited for Friday night lights.” 

The team opens the season at reigning district 1-6A champions Eastwood on September 6.