Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

Boys Basketball Ranked 4th in State by TABC

Nicholas Galindo
Rising above the defender, senior forward Evan Woodside goes up for the layup in the team’s 83-44 win against Mountain View on December 5th, 2023.

The boys basketball team (13-3) was ranked 4th in most recent TABC (Texas Association of Basketball Coaches) class 5A rankings. This is the highest ranking the team has achieved so far this year, and they are the only team from the El Paso area to be included in the rankings.

“It’s a blessing, we’ve been working hard,” junior Jayden Leverett said. Leverett has missed a few games due to injury, but still leads the team in scoring with 14 points per game.

The team has notched wins over state powerhouses such as #16 C.E. King and #15 Ellison at tournaments around the state. They battled 4A #2 Faith Family Academy to the very end, but would end up losing on a last second basket. Nonetheless, their big-time wins caught the eye of the TABC and helped elevate their ranking from 10 to 4.

“We still have work to do, but I’ll take it,” senior Brandon Hymes said. “I say we’re still a little underrated.”

The team has a 59-game winning streak against El Paso teams dating back to the 2020 season. They’ll put that streak on the line in a rematch of last year’s Regional Quarterfinal against Parkland on Friday in the ‘Dawg Pound’.

“The streak is cool but that isn’t why we play,” junior Savion Jordan said. “We play to win.”

For some students, being able to see one of the top teams in the state is an opportunity they can’t pass up.

“It’s crazy that they’re top 5,” junior Omar Lopez said. “I’ll be there on Friday, for sure.”