Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

Colleges bringing back SAT and ACT Requirements

New SAT and ACT requirements

In a surprising turn of events, colleges across the nation are reconsidering their stance on standardized testing. The SAT and ACT, long regarded as essential components of college applications, had been temporarily suspended due to the pandemic. However, recent developments have sparked a wave of discussions, with some institutions opting to reinstate these tests as part of their admissions criteria.

“I feel like they’re trying to make it harder for us to pass with these requirements,” freshman Joey Smith said.

The Rationale Behind the Decision:
    Colleges cite various reasons for bringing back SAT and ACT requirements. Some argue that standardized tests provide a standardized metric for evaluating applicants, allowing for a fair comparison. They believe that these tests can offer valuable insights into a student’s academic preparedness and potential success in college. Additionally, colleges may believe that the absence of standardized tests during the pandemic has made it challenging to evaluate applicants on an equal footing.

“I think the new requirements are different but its not too hard.” – Macey Jackson

While the decision has its proponents, it has also faced significant backlash. Critics argue that standardized tests perpetuate inequality, as they tend to reflect socioeconomic disparities rather than true academic ability. They emphasize that factors like GPA, extracurricular activities, and personal essays can provide a more holistic view of an applicant’s capabilities. Many worry that reinstating these tests may disadvantage underprivileged students who lack access to test preparation resources.

In response to the concerns surrounding standardized testing, some colleges are exploring alternative approaches. They are considering making these tests optional, allowing students to submit scores if they believe it strengthens their application. Others are placing more emphasis on holistic evaluation, prioritizing factors beyond test scores. These adaptations aim to strike a balance between assessing academic potential and fostering inclusivity.