Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

The Chapin High School Newspaper

Chapin Chronicle

Teen views on climate change

This+photo+was+taken+early+on+a+Tuesday+morning.+The+freeway+already+being+trashed.+Pollution+impacting+the+earth+that+day.+Climate+Change+is+taking+an+effect+on+the+world+today.+With+cars+exposing+pollution%2C+to+humans+trashing+the+earth.+
    Michelle Lopez
    This photo was taken early on a Tuesday morning. The freeway already being trashed. Pollution impacting the earth that day. Climate Change is taking an effect on the world today. With cars exposing pollution, to humans trashing the earth.

Breakfast is being served in the morning to students eating outside on picnic tables by the parking lot on Ellerthorpe. Food, trays and plastic wrapping land outside on the floor. Instead in someone’s mouth or in a trash bin. The trash remains throughout the day, unless custodians clean it up. Which usually doesn’t happen due to the lack of custodians and their work loads. Therefore the food and trash end up on the sidewalks and surrounding areas.

“When I see trash on the floor I really don’t bother picking it up,” junior Itzel Nevarez said. “Why would I pick up someone else’s mess? It wasn’t me who dumped it.”

Students seem bothered by the trash and effort of people to throw their trash away, but don’t seem to make the effort to correct it.

“It bothers me when I see kids littering,” sophomore Camila Cervantes said. “But I don’t do anything about it either way. I just make sure I don’t litter. I don’t have time to go around and tell kids to not trash the area. It’s them who know what’s good and bad. ”

Students see the problem expanding to there community.

“I have gone around the park and picked up trash and unnecessary items that don’t belong,” said junior Jonathan Perez, social media manager for student council. “It helps my mindset and health knowing I did something. Being in student council has taught me how to acknowledge and take care of our world better.”